These are easy to install and access at all times which makes them some of the most favorite types. Here are multiple advantages and reasons why:
- Convenient – these are probably the easiest to use. Some pull out like drawers while others open like pianos but either way, these are convenient and easy to access.
- Easy to hide – an under-bed safe is ideal to hide weapons away from curious children and thieves. It’s a good choice if you don’t have as much space in your house to keep a large firearm vault.
- Reliable – these usually come with mechanic locks that don’t require batteries. Plus, all quality vaults can be attached to the floor or the frame of your bed for extra security
There are also cons, and although they aren’t as significant, they might play a role in how you choose the right box for you. These are some of the cons that stand out the most:
- Only for clear areas – this may not be the best option if you store other stuff under your bed. If there’s a pile of things, it might be awkward and tricky to access the vault in emergencies.
- Not for large collections – if you have a large number of guns, this is probably not the right one for you. Though some models can hold more than one, these usually aren’t big enough to store large collections.
First and foremost, under-bed safes don’t require you to cut a giant hole in your wall. Installing in-wall gun safes aren't easy if you aren't a handy man even if it appears to be. It requires quite a bit more effort in order to get to it too.
An under-bed vault is much easier to install as it only requires you to bolt it to the ground if you want to. Plus, it’s also more versatile. Most of these are compact and small, so you can use them to transport your weapons with safely.
See our related post on the best biometric gun safes.
The short answer is YES. You should always bolt it to your bed or the floor underneath it. All under-bed safes are much more secure when they are secured to the ground or the frame of the bed.
Unless you bolt it to one of the two, a safe is nothing but a locked box. This means someone might steal the entire thing in which case they’d have more time and tools at hand to open it.
If you’re looking for a reliable safe with quick access, an under-bed type is probably the best for you. These are the best on the market right now based on their overall quality, durability, and ease of use.
You should choose one of the above depending on the number and kind of guns you want to store away. If you can’t make up your mind, consider the top picks we chose for you. Our top choices for best under-bed gun safe go to Monster Vault
and Fort Knox PB1
Once you think about your needs and preferences, it becomes easy to choose one of the above to keep your guns safe from curious eyes.